Tomorrow is the 17th anniversary of 9-11 and most of us remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news. America changed forever on that day. Mary and I dedicate this week’s blog post, filled with ten memorable quotes, to the loving memory of those who died and the loving honor of all the heroes, known and unknown.
1. “The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.” —Rudy Giuliani
2. “If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate.” —Sandy Dahl, wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl
3. “Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11.” —former President Barack Obama
4. “You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy.” —Colin Powell
5. “For me and my family personally, September 11 was a reminder that life is fleeting, impermanent, and uncertain. Therefore, we must make use of every moment and nurture it with affection, tenderness, beauty, creativity, and laughter.” —Deepak Chopra
6. “Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” —former President George W. Bush
7. “What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is our ability to mourn people we’ve never met.” —David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law
8. “September 11, 2001, revealed heroism in ordinary people who might have gone through their lives never called upon to demonstrate the extent of their courage.” —Geraldine Brooks
9. “Remember the hours after Sept. 11 when we came together as one! It was the worst day we have ever seen, but it brought out the best in all of us.” —former Secretary of State John Kerry
10. “When Americans lend a hand to one another, nothing is impossible. We’re not about what happened on 9/11. We’re about what happened on 9/12. —Jeff Parness, Founder of New York Says Thank You
Divided we fall; united we stand! God bless the spirit of America!