STRAWBERRY BASIL LEMONADE
Happily Ever After Everyone Else
The Morins: Book 1 Julie's Story
Happily Ever After The Choice
The Morins: Book 2 Mike’s Story
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1-pound strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
· 3/4 cup tightly packed basil leaves
8 cups cold water
2 cups lemon juice, chilled
Vegan or regular vodka – about 16 oz. or to your taste (optional)
1/2 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced 1/2 inch thick, for garnish
1/4 cup tightly packed, blemish-free basil leaves, for garnish
To Make the Strawberry-basil syrup:
1. Place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Add the strawberries, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the strawberries have softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, add the basil leaves, and stir to incorporate.
4. Cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
5. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl; discard the solids.
6. Cover the syrup and refrigerate until ready to use.
To Make the Lemonade:
1. Pour the water, lemon juice, and 1 1/2 cups of the strawberry-basil syrup into a 3-quart pitcher or punch bowl. (Add vodka for the optional adult twist to this drink.)
2. Stir to combine.
3. Taste and add additional strawberry-basil syrup as needed.
4. Add ice and garnish with the sliced strawberries and basil leaves.